The Board of Trustees is responsible for establishing and overseeing the mission of Port of Los Angeles High School. It has the ultimate authority over and responsibility for all fiscal and operational policies within the limitations and guidelines of California State Charter School Education Code, California Non-Profit Public Benefit Law and the POLAHS Charter and Board of Trustees Bylaws.
The Board may delegate the management of the corporation's activities to any person(s), management company, contracted business entity, or committees, however composed, provided that the activities and affairs of the corporation shall be managed and all corporate powers shall be exercised under the ultimate direction of the Board.
The Role of the Board of Trustees
- Without prejudice to its general powers, but subject to the same limitations set forth above, the Board shall have the following specific powers in addition to any other powers enumerated in the Bylaws and/or permitted by law:
- Establish the organization’s mission, vision, and purpose and regularly review the status of each
- To elect and remove Trustees
- Annually assess the ever-changing fiscal, legal, political and operational environment, their impact on POLAHS and evaluate the organization’s strategy to be responsive
- Annually review and approve POLAHS’ budget
- Review POLAHS’ financial status on a regular basis
- Approve major policies and procedures to ensure that POLAHS is well organized and administered and so that the operation is in compliance with state charter law
- Approve appropriate compensation, benefit policies, and employment practices
- Annually review the performance of the Board and take necessary steps to improve as indicated
- Oversee the selection of an independent auditor to perform an annual fiscal audit
- Hire a Principal and other key administrative staff as needed, and review or cause to be reviewed their performances annually
- To indemnify and maintain insurance on behalf of the Board, officers, employees or agents for liability asserted against or incurred by such person in such capacity or arising out of such person's status as such, subject to the provisions of the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Law and the limitations noted in these Bylaws
Office hours: M-F 8:30am - 3:30pm