The $2,000 grant award will be used for the construction of raised beds (including tools, soil, lumber, and seeds) at POLAHS' Community Garden, located at the Rancho San Pedro Public Housing Development.
Environmental Engineering and Urban Farming Club students from POLAHS will care for the garden throughout the summer. They will also intern at the San Pedro Science Center for the second year in a row, learning new sustainable agriculture techniques and garden responsibilities.
Students' green efforts throughout 2011-2012 school year will culminate on Friday, June 8th at the GREEN FESTIVAL. Community members are encouraged to attend in celebration of UN World Environmental Day, World Ocean Day, and the beginning of a conscious summer!
POLAHS Garden Program Timeline:
• San Pedro Science Center donates a 40 x 50 ft. plot of land to POLAHS Environmental Engineering students; June 2012
• Urban Farming Club is created at POLAHS; July 2010
• Students harvest pumpkins, squash, and pomegranates and distribute to enthusiastic neighbors at Rancho San Pedro Public Housing Development; November 2012
• Gardening program is commended in Random Lengths newspaper and on local San Pedro blog
• Inspired by POLAHS' commitment to growing, harvesting, and eating healthy foods, Rancho San Pedro residents seek POLAHS' support in their campaign for a community garden; December 2010
• POLAHS Garden Program receives National Gardening Association grant from over 1200 nationwide; February 2011
• Four POLAHS students pioneer first Urban Agriculture summer internship at San Pedro Science Center; June 2011• Scope of collaboration with Science Center broadens to include integrated pest management (IPM), floral botany, and market analysis of vegetable production
• POLAHS Environmental Engineering and Spanish instructor, Ms. Rachel Bruhnke, is featured in San Pedro Today magazine for her creation of Harbor Farms, a sustainable community garden in her own backyard; July 2011
• Housing Authority of the City of LA, Triscuit, and Urban Farming support the opening of a Community Garden at Rancho San Pedro. POLAHS Students team up with resident volunteers to care for the garden year-round; September 2011
• POLAHS students host a fall festival at the Rancho San Pedro Community Garden; October 2011
• Garden Program receives Whole Kids Foundation grant; May 2012
• POLAHS Science Department & Environmental Engineering classes host Green Festival; June 2012