Students Run LA
The mission of Students Run LA (SRLA) is to challenge at-risk secondary students to experience the benefits of goal-setting, character development, adult mentoring and improved health by providing them with a truly life-changing experience: The training for and completion of the LA Marathon. Every year, a motivated group of POLAHS teachers and students participate in SRLA!
- To provide teacher mentors who assist students in their training and who reinforce the lessons of responsibility, discipline and goal-setting.
- To support students in tackling a supremely difficult goal, to break down their mental barriers to this goal, and to create “can do” attitudes.
- To introduce students to the pleasure of running, encourage students to develop the habit of physical fitness, and teach students aspects of healthy living.
- To create an opportunity for students of all ethnic groups, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds to meet one another and experience an important sense of belonging.
- To offer a program in which all students are welcome, all have the same chance to achieve the goal, and all become winners.
For many of the students, training for a marathon represents the first time that they have committed to a specific goal. By providing them an opportunity for incremental accomplishment and a supportive environment to help them on their way, SRLA gives the students the inspiration, excitement and encouragement to accomplish their goal.
To participate in SRLA, please contact Ms. Kelly or Mr. Magaña or the Athletic Director, Mr. Cosgrove!
|Coach Kelly, Coach Magaña, and Coach Aspinwall||Port of Los Angeles HIgh School & 22nd Street Park||Participate in the Los Angeles Marathon|